Summary: When you try to fix corrupted and damaged Outlook PST files using the Inbox Repair Tool (SCANPST.EXE) you may encounter errors. This article offers solutions to troubleshooting which you can follow. In addition, you’ll find an innovative Outlook repair tool that can help repair PST files when the Outlook inbox repair tool not responding.
Microsoft recognizes it is possible that Outlook users may experience problems in their PST files and thus includes an Inbox Repair Tool (also known as SCANPST.EXE) in all versions of Outlook. It is made to fix corrupt or inaccessible PST files by fixing inconsistencies and errors and reshaping the PST structure by getting rid of mail items that cannot be recovered. After repairs are completed, users can open and transfer this repaired PST document into Outlook to access their email.
It’s normal that Inbox Repair Tool Inbox Repair Tool to temporarily cease functioning during the PST repair procedure. It will typically return to working after a certain amount of time and finish the repair. Sometimes, the tool may show an ‘Not Responding’ warning in the event that it is working to fix the most severe PST corrupted files.
In general, Inbox Repair Tool can fix PST files that are not encrypted, are severely corrupted, or more than 2GB.It’s advisable to wait for the tool to start responding as the repair time may vary depending on the PST file’s size and degree of corruption. However, the tool does not finish the repair of PST files, it may be a sign that the file is damaged. PST file, or if it gets stuck and crashes or is unable to fix the PST there may be other problems with the tool as well as its PST file.
- 1 Why does the Outlook inbox repair tool not working?
- 2 Solutions to Fix Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool
Why does the Outlook inbox repair tool not working?
The Inbox Repair Tool, also known as SCANPST.EXE, may become unresponsive and freeze due to various reasons, including:
- The PST file being used by another application.
- Inbox Repair Tool’s inability to find a solution for the corruption.
- Disk permission settings that prevent read/write access.
- Drive errors, such as bad sectors.
- The PST file is infected with a virus.
Additionally, the Inbox Repair Tool has certain limitations that can impede its ability to repair a PST file and result in issues with the scanpst does not repair pst file. The limitations include:
- It’s recommended to use the Inbox Repair Tool for repairing PST files that are no larger than 2 GB in size.
- The tool cannot repair encrypted or password-protected PST files.
- Additionally, it’s unable to rebuild or fix PST files that are severely damaged or corrupted.
Frequently, the Inbox Repair Tool becoming unresponsive indicates severe corruption in the PST file that cannot be repaired using this particular tool.
When trying to repair a corrupted PST file using the scanpst.exe tool, it can be frustrating to encounter the error message scanpst.exe not responding.
Solutions to Fix Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool
Here are some workarounds and solutions that you can use to troubleshoot and resolve the Inbox Repair Tool not responding problem.
Find and execute the appropriate SCANPST.EXE (Inbox Repair Tool)
Ensure that you’re using the SCANPST.EXE file located in the MS Office installation directory and not a downloaded version to avoid potential errors. To locate and execute the SCANPST.EXE or Inbox Repair Tool, refer to the paths below:
For Outlook 2016 and 2019
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office19\
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office19\
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\
For Outlook 2013
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\office15\
For Outlook 2010
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\
For Outlook 2007
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\
After locating the SCANPST, double-click on it to launch and repair the PST file. If you’re encountering the frustrating error message Outlook PST Cannot Be Found, here are some troubleshooting steps you can take.
Close the MS Outlook and Other application
To prevent the Inbox Repair Tool from freezing, ensure that all running programs, particularly those that access your PST file (e.g., MS Outlook or antivirus), are closed. Next, launch the Inbox Repair Tool and select the PST file that requires repair.
If the issue persists, log out and log back in or access the Task Manager and terminate any Outlook and antivirus-related tasks. Afterward, attempt the repair process again.
Check Drive Health Status and Verify Read/Write Permissions
Download and install CrystalDiskInfo to inspect the health and SMART status of the drive that stores your PST file. If you notice that the status is listed as “Bad” or there has been a significant increase in the number of bad sectors (Reallocated Sectors Count), this indicates a severe problem with the drive that requires replacement. This could be a possible cause of the PST file’s corruption or the Microsoft Outlook inbox repair tool not responding.
To address this issue, transfer the PST file to a healthy external storage device and utilize a different system to execute SCANPST.EXE for repairing the PST file.
In case the disk’s SMART info reveals that everything is functioning correctly, examine the read/write permissions for the PST file. To do this:
- Right-click on the PST file and select Properties.
- If it’s not already enabled, grant Read/Write permission.
If you wish to repair the PST file associated with your Outlook profile, you can locate the PST file by completing the following steps:
- Open the Control Panel, search for and select Mail.
- Click on the Data Files and select the profile you wish to repair.
- Finally, click on the Open File Location.
Having trouble with Outlook Not Responding? Check out our latest blog post for tips and solutions to fix the issue.
Repair and Reinstall the MS Outlook Application
You may also attempt to repair or reinstall MS Outlook by following these steps:
For Outlook versions 2019/2016/2013/2010.
- Open the Control Panel and select “Programs and Features”.
- Locate and select “Microsoft Office” in the list of installed programs.
- Click “Change” at the top of the window and select “Quick Repair” from the menu. If Quick Repair does not work, select “Online Repair” instead.
- Wait for the repair process to complete. This may take several minutes.
- Restart your computer and open Outlook to check if the issue has been resolved.
Confirm the Size of the PST File
Before selecting a PST file for repair, ensure that you check its size. After locating the PST file, right-click on the file and select “Properties” to confirm its size. If the PST file is larger than 2 GB, the Inbox Repair Tool may stop responding during the repair process. However, if the PST is 2 GB or smaller but the Inbox Repair Tool still fails to repair the PST file, this suggests that the PST file is severely damaged.
When encountering such scenarios, manual repairs are not possible, and an Outlook repair tool like Stellar Repair for Outlook must be utilized to repair the damaged PST file.
In conclusion, the Inbox Repair tool (also called SCANPST.EXE) offered by Microsoft is an extremely useful tool to repair damaged or unavailable PST files. But, it does have limitations, such as the inability to repair damaged or encrypted PST files that have been severely damaged or encrypted. In the event that Inbox Repair Tool becomes unresponsive during the repair process it may be a sign of serious destruction in this PST file. The steps for troubleshooting the Inbox Repair Tool’s non-responsive problem are to locate and execute the correct SCANPST.EXE file, as well as checking the health of the disk, and read/write access permissions, and checking that the file is of sufficient size. PST file.
These methods are unsuccessful, a more advanced Outlook repair tool such as Stellar Repair available for Outlook can be used to repair issues with your PST file.